Wednesday, September 16, 2009

first day of class

First days at school
In most Romanian schools the first day is just the day of the opening
ceremony and then everyone goes home. The first day of actual classes is
the next day after that and that day is chaos. The official class
schedule does not yet exist because teachers who teach at more than one
school must change things around to fit in all their classes from both
schools. This means that through out the first week the schedule is
constantly changing. I do have my own classroom though sometime between
my first and second class the door disappeared. To have my own class is
a nice thing since it is uncommon for Peace Corps Volunteers to have
their own room. What usually happens is the PCV will take their half of
the class and find an empty room. As a Peace Corps Volunteer I teach
half a class while the usual or in my case substitute English teacher
teaches the other half. This means I see one set of students once a
week. I teach only verbal communication; under no circumstances do I
teach grammar. The Peace Corps Teaching English as a foreign language
program does not ask us to teach grammar and I am not qualified to do
so. My job as I told my students today and will the rest of the week is
to teach them to speak in English. It is the job of the other English
teacher
to teach grammar and spelling, and they usually follow a
standard foreign language like you would see in the U.S only teaching
Basic English. At this moment there is no text book being used in my
classes because the substitute just arrived at school late this morning.
For now I wait and see what happens and see what words my students know
that start with each letter in the alphabet.

No comments:

Post a Comment