Saturday, August 15, 2009

Swearing in

Current Status
I am stuck in Tragoviste until my School director finds me housing at my site. So I am stuck here alone doing language tutoring until I get a call from the assistant TEFL program manager telling me that I have a place to live at site. Once I get this call I will be on a train out of town as fast as I can.

Swearing in and the last good byes
There is nothing that can prepare you for this moment in your Peace Corps service. After 11 weeks of training it is finally over. Part of you will be ready to get to your site but the other part will be sad to leave all your friends. This week I have cried a great deal, in part due to my “stuck in Tragoviste” status but all so due to saying good bye to the 36 people who have become such a part of my life. Tears of happiness and tears of sadness have filled these last two days. Yet I have lived more in the past 48 hours then I have in my entire 25 years. There is nothing like this experience in the world and no one outside the Peace Corps Volunteer community will ever understand. We are Peace Corps Volunteers and unlike any other volunteer and US government group we give up two whole years of our lives to help countries all over the world accomplish the goals it has set for its self. I am a Peace Corps Volunteer and in two years if the only thing I manage to accomplish in my community is to show one person the beauty of fighting for change in their country then I have done my job. In a way that is the goal of my entire group. We know that the differences we make in our communities may never reveal themselves while we are in country. As I say good-bye to my friends until December I must remind myself that this is what we came here to do. It is now time to get to work, or as our country Director said at swearing-in “The toughest job you’ll ever love starts now”.

No comments:

Post a Comment