Monday, May 17, 2010

Nearly a year

It has been almost a full year since I left my home and family in AZ and came half way around the world to Romania. It has been far from easy and nothing like what I expected. I have had to deal with computer break downs, site visit disasters, change of sites, two kindle break downs, a laptop melt down, countless arguments with both DHL and UPS and countless other problems. Yet this evening as I said good bye to one of my site mates Rob who started a year before me I realized I will be just as sad to leave. I have wanted to go home so many times and yet I know that going home is going to be like Alice through the looking glass. Nothing in my old world will make sense anymore and most of my family and friends will not be able to grasp that.
So despite the countless disasters I am still here and I hope that this time next year I will still be here. The saying goes Nothing worth doing is easy and Peace Corps is no exception. Once you are a Peace Corps Volunteer you will always be a Peace Corps Volunteer, it is a life time commitment.

No comments:

Post a Comment