Thursday, May 13, 2010

after thoughts

It has been nearly a year since I jumped off a proverbial cliff and left home to start on my was to be a Peace Corps Volunteer. I thought that taking that step would be the hardest thing I would ever have to do. I look back and realize that taking that step was like jumping off a cliff, however at the bottom of that cliff was a mountain. I stood at the bottom of that mountain with two choices. The first to turn around and go back and the other to climb that mountain. For the past nearly 12 months everyday I have had to make the choice to go back or to keep climbing that mountain. That is the big lesson every Peace Corps Volunteer learns, getting in is the easy part it is choosing to stay in that is hard.
thousands of miles form everything you know and from everyone you know. In a place where simple problems are not so simple anymore. You have to remember that you never know how you are going to react to a situation until you are in it. Some of us find that we can't take it and we have to turn back, others find that despite the hardship something in us will not let us give up.
Me I have been through so much in the past 12 months from the site visit from hell and the changing of sites to mass electronic failure that resulted in a new computer and more problems. However no mater how many times I thought that this was going to be the end, that I just was going to give up and go home I stayed. Something in me kept telling me no you are not giving up on this not because of this. So here I am still climbing that mountain not yet ready to take the easy way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment