Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Teaching in Romania

To be a TEFL volunteer in Romania I think is one of the hardest posts to be in in the Peace Corps. Unlike many other countries where the underdevelopment is clearly seen, here in Romania you are dealing with cell phones and the modern world around you. It seems like I am teaching to walls most days and wonder often if I am making any impact at all on these kids. I ask myself, do these kids really need me here and am I doing them any good my standing up here trying to teach them in another language how to speak this language. I am in what looks like civilization even if it is still trying to become fully modernized it is still civilization. Yet they seem to want us here though I suspect that by 2014 Peace Corps in Romania will be a thing of the past. We have done our best to help put Romania on the course of modern development now they must take what we and others have given them and do it themselves,

No comments:

Post a Comment