Wednesday, April 28, 2010

reflection

It is late April and my computer problems continue. I have ordered a new laptop and it was supposed to be here today but it never showed up. I have been in contact with my counterpart who will get in touch with the company in the morning. This is just one of many storms I have had to weather since putting in my Peace Corps Application back in early 2008. It is hard to believe that it has been that long since I started all this and what a journey it has been. It starts with a long detailed application and moves into a long detailed application process. The security clearances, the medical clearances’ and the placement all take a lot of time, patients and paperwork. Then comes the placement and the preparation to leave your life behind for two years and three months. The paperwork the packing the saying good bye. The comes trainings part 1 also known as staging, or an introduction to the people you will spend up to 3 months training with and learning general things about Peace Corps. Then off you go to your home for the next 27 months. Training is a whole different world and a challenger in its self. Once this is done off you go to start the real work. This means trying to adjust to your community and then getting them to trust you. Your first year is full of mass disasters and false starts. It is a time of learning and preparation for the second year where you try and truly push forward. I am a Peace Corps Volunteer and in about one month I will have been in country for 12 months. It has been a year like nothing else. To be a Peace Corps Volunteer no mater what country you are in, be it the middle of nowhere in Africa or the Pacific or in a city is to weather storms like few ever see and to come out the other side. Me I take each day as it comes, the good, the bad and the "I am going to throw that kid out the window" days. Now I wait for a new laptop and thank the powers for sitemats no mater how long I have them.

No comments:

Post a Comment